TS&JT Architecture & Design

Irish Chapel

Competition entry for a funerary chapel at Glasnevin, Dublin, in collaboration with Jack Green.

A simple and robust brick form provides a suitably dignified backdrop to arriving mourners and provides a strong enough setting to balance the 1916 monument across the new plaza. The loggia on the north and west elevations clearly denotes the entrance to the chapel. The impassive and subdued exterior of the building is expressed in contrast to the interior, which is light-filled, uplifting and spatially and materially rich.

The entrance hall opens off the loggia, and is a generous perfect cube; at once decorous and domestic. The atmosphere is formal, but welcoming. In winter a fire burns in the fireplace between the two doorways into the chapel, and two niches with console tables are provided for floral displays and photographs of the deceased.

The chapel is a high, calm, oval space, aligned to the cardinal points. The catafalque is placed close to the east end of the oval, in front of a screen and niche, which serves to focus the space towards the east. After the service, the mourners exit through the door under the great south window.

  • Exterior, north elevation.

  • Site plan.

  • Ground plan.

  • Entrance hall.

  • Entrance hall.

  • Chapel interior.

  • Chapel interior.

  • Section looking east.

  • Section looking north.